How to reduce project costs or what you want vs what you can afford
• Talk to us before you selected and bought the property so that we can evaluate it. We will check zoning and other regulations or code restrictions. We will check site conditions (orientation, access, privacy, soil and vegetation, utilities, easements etc.) to minimize unforeseen expenses and get a good idea what you can build there. Site opportunities usually come hand in hand with hazards and deciding which prevail may save you money in the future. We will tell you if there will be extra costs incurred due to environmental assessments or municipal regulations (development fees, site plan approval fees and deposits, etc.)
• Let us evaluate the home you think of buying. We will determine if it is a viable candidate for your alteration or addition project and whether your development plans are realistic. Although the inherent value is tempting, some changes can be very expensive or impossible to achieve due to a variety of limitations (structural, zoning, environmental etc.) and building a brand new home might be a better option.
• Talk to us to determine the size of your future dwelling. A thorough analysis of your present and future needs will allow us to keep costs in check without compromising on quality and comfort. It is important to be realistic about the potential of your budget. Our hands-on experience will help us suggest alternative solutions or materials that will cost less but will fulfill their function well.
• Tell us about your family lifestyle, how long you intend to live in the future home, if you work from home, how much time you spend in different areas of the home, what you like or dislike about your present dwelling. Based on these and many other details we will be able to define the scope of the project. More detailed information at the outset will allow us to plan for cost-efficiencies which would be difficult with changes later on.
• Talk to us about the time frame. Do you want to build your home at once or you would rather build it in phases and expand in the future? We can help you with preliminary design which will help to establish a preliminary budget. Should you realize your initial plan was excessive, we can change the design to make the project feasible.
• Be open while talking to us about what you really want to achieve. Good communication, trust and smart decisions are a solid foundation to build a successful project on.
Call us at 905.812.7674 to find out more.